Built in the late 1920’s by Mr Hallyburton, the roads on the estate were named after his six daughters, including Olive Road. Interestingly access to our site was created in WWII, when a bomb levelled one of the street houses, which was never rebuilt. Post WWII the site was the council’s former works depot and required the demolition of several former buildings, whilst retaining the rear boundary walls.
Bramber were appointed to build a pair of semi-detached bungalows. Restricted access on site called for strict phasing and co-ordination of deliveries. The neighbouring houses on all four sides of the site meant regular liaison with the adjoining residents. However, despite these site challenges the project was handed over on time and with zero defects.
Key successes of the project included:
- Removing significant quantities of concrete buried in the ground; alternate construction methods were utilised in order to keep the project within the clients’ budget.
- All suppliers and subcontractors were local.
- Site noise was kept to a minimum.
- Two apprentice carpenters were employed over the first and second fix carpentry elements.